CBTA R (Restricted)

If you hold a learners licence you can sit your CBTA R (Restricted) at any time.
There is no minimum waiting period for you to progress to your restricted licence.

What does the CBTA R assessment involve?

The assessment is designed to ensure that you're competent in a prescribed range of riding competencies.
The assessment is conducted with your CBTA assessor following you on a motorcycle. Your riding skills will be assessed throughout the entire duration of your ride.

How long does the CBTA R assessment take?

Your assessment ride takes 50 to 60 minutes. This allows for a comprehensive assessment of your riding skills in both urban and higher speed zones.
Together with the Pre and Post Assessment briefing, you need to allow 90 minutes for your CBTA R.

What training do I need?

We highly recommend that you have One to One personalised coaching and/or attend a Ride Forever training course before attempting the assessment ride. The Ride Forever Bronze course is designed to help riders on a learner licence, as it focuses on the skills and competencies required to pass the CBTA Assessment.


Head Checks
Following Distance

Questions and Answers

What training should I take to prepare for my CBTA R?

To prepare yourself in the best way possible, it is highly recommended that you have One to One personalised coaching and/or attend a Ride Forever training course before attempting the assessment ride. This is the quickest way to progress through your licence as it helps you develop the best riding practices right from the beginning! If you’re new to riding, this training will help prepare you for the assessment, ensuring you have the necessary skills to ride safely on our roads. For existing riders, this training will identify any errors in your riding style and help you correct them before you do your assessment.

What happens if its raining?

Your assessment will take place regardless of the weather, as long as it is safe to do so.

What do I do after I’ve passed my CBTA R assessment?

Once you’ve passed your assessment you’ll be issued with an NZTA certificate. You’ll need to present this to a driver licensing agent e.g. AA, VTNZ to upgrade your licence.

What motorcycle can I ride on my CBTA R assessment?

You must ride a LAMS approved motorcycle to be eligible to sit the assessment. Click here for LAMS bikes.

If you can’t find a time slot that works for you, please call the office so we can find a time that suits you.
Please Note : If you are gaining your licence using a non-standard process please contact us before making a booking.
Without the correct paperwork from NZTA you will not be allowed to take an assessment and your booking fee will be lost.

For more details on gaining a motorcycle licence NZTA website

Not sure what you can ride on a Learner or Restricted Licence? Click here